Saturday, December 30, 2017

Sewing a Knitting Needles Case

If you are a knitter or crocheter, keeping your needles or hooks organized is a definite must! When they are scattered here and there, it gets very frustrating when all you want to do is simply grab the size you need and start working on your project pronto.

My crochet hooks are pretty much organized but my knitting needles... not so much. I thought I'd tackle organizing the straight needles first and later get to the circulars and dpn's (double-pointed needles). Now, I guess I could buy a knitting case. I mean, they really aren't that expensive, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to refresh my sewing skills. That and I have a stash of fabrics that needs to be pared down.

So with pencil and paper, I got to thinking and jotted down my design and measurements. This part, to me, is very important because then I'll have an idea of what the finished piece should look like and how to construct it. Otherwise, I'll likely make lots of mistakes and waste resources and time causing me lots of frustration.

After that crucial part, comes the cutting of the fabrics. In case you can't make it out, the top fabric is an adorable pattern of Jacks!


Then with a pin here, a whir there (I love the sound of the sewing machine!) and iron, iron, IRON. Seriously, ironing is such an important step in sewing. Along with pinning, it helps to keep your fabric in place while you are sewing. I wish I had taken pictures of the sewing part but I always forget to grab my camera when my mind is occupied with the task at hand.

And here is the finished project:











No comments:

Post a Comment

Field Trips - Crayola Experience and Legoland

Field trips...  They make homeschooling a lot more fun and fortunately our local homeschool group is awesome with coordinating them. They of...